Tuesday 1 October 2013

Yarndale 2013

Wow - an amazing event - everything I'd wished for, and sooooo much more.  As an avid follower of Attic24, I had been aware of the preparations for Yarndale since the beginning of the year - when Lucy announced to her 'followers' there was going to be this great woolfest of an event in Skipton.  The planning for Yarndale had, of course been on going well before the event was announced - these things never just happen - eighteen whole months of planning, so I understand.

I was fascinated by the event details, as they dribbled through from Lucy over the next few months, and initial investigation of whether I could make it a day trip on the train - a long day trip - proved unachievable.  And then came 'that' day that Lucy announced their local park would be Yarnbombed to mark the event.  I just had to go.  A discussion took place with my fellow Wednesday night QQ, and investigation started on maybe an overnight in Leeds and before we knew it - a hotel had been booked (changed to a holiday cottage at the last minute) - the journey planned  - a day booked off work and two additional QQ to join in the fun!!

So four hookers set on Friday morning - on a 4 1/2 trip to Skipton - well actually two QQ - the third picked up in Fulham, and the final QQ collected on the edge of Derby! After a wonderful lunch we headed off toward Skipton.


On arrival at Sweeps Cottage, and of course, after a four and half hour journey the need to explore and stretch our legs was first and foremost.


I knew we would see the canal, and possibly (if I was lucky) walk along side it but I was very surprised to see it right outside the door (well at the end of the alleyway)! Bonus



 The evening was just wonderful so we walked around, and then a little bit further......





We stumbled across the other great event of the weekend - the Skipton Puppet Festival.



And, then much to my excitement, we discovered Lucy's local park - how did we know it was Lucy's park - I'll let you guess......



I added a little bombing of my own...




The evening was good, good company - easy but delicious food, wine and of course a crafting project of our choosing.....



And, the day had finally arrived...... we gathered our 'pimped' Yarndale bags....






A walked along the canal again (bonus), very busy this morning with people coming and going, narrow boats moving...



And a little surprise from Lucy......



A walk in the park (bonus)......


And then bunting....


More bunting.....


And more bunting.....


And bunting along side some great tree decorations.....


A little queue had formed ..... but as we entered the main hall the amazing site of mass bunting....




But, the biggest surprise of the weekend was my bunting, right inside the entrance..... Flipping heck.....Lucy had put a call out for Bunting, and received over 6000 triangles. And look, there it was, mine! #chuffedtobits. Bonus.....



There was food displays.....hooked and knitted of course....


Yarndale helpers.....


Workshops.......



The Knit and Natter Lounge..... with of course Lucy - and she was just as lovely in the flesh as she is in her blog. So amazing to see her 'goodies' on display.  She is one very talented lady.


And then of course - there was the wool.......


Yarndale was amazing - I have never seen such a selection of wool all in one place. I have never seen such excited ladies all in one place.  The first day of Yarndale, I overheard, was a rip roaring success - expectations of 6000 visitors through the door over the course of the two day event was exceeded beyond that, with 12000 visitors just on Saturday alone.

And the final bonus of the day......


With Yarnbombing inside....


And a finally look at the mass of bunting on the way out - H found one of her bunting triangle's ..... well spotted that woman! Bonus....


And what did I get........ 



The only thing I didn't managed to find within Yarndale was just very basic wool for me to 'play' with......but exploring in Skipton I stumbled upon a little shop selling these at £1 a ball ......BOOOOONNNNUUUSSS.


With our weekend completed at the Wooly Sheep Inn, with a little refreshment, a prefect day. 

I don't know why but I am so happy for the Yarndale gang that this event has been such a success.  Although I have had no involvement at all with the planning, I do feel I have played a little part (yes, just a very little part) in sending my bunting (which helped decorate the entrance door!) and just a couple of flowers to help decorate Skipton - well a lamppost!! And if for any reason anyone from the Yarndale committee should ever read this post - I would just like to say WEELLLLL DONEEEEE - we all had a great weekend.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carole....I am most certainly reading your post...thank you! So glad you had a great weekend, and yes we all loved your bunting with the Yarndale letters on. after several comments similar to yours, I will most def champion some more "normal" yarn for crocheters for next time, I think that's the one thing that was missing. Lots of Rico, Drops, Stylecraft etc. I will be on it!
    Much love to you and your quilty friends
    Lucexxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete