Friday 26 February 2016

Fifty Hearts for Fifty Years

Soooooo, back in 2012 Mum was sorting out and decided to give me her wedding dress to make something, rather than it sit in a box for another 46 years!!!  If you have been following me and my blog for a little while, you may remember this from 2013 - Wedding Dress - Part One  or maybe this Wedding Dress - Part Two, both made for Mum's 70th Birthday.

Well the 26th February is Mum & Dad's 50th Anniversary - for a gift, it would only be appropriate to make something else with the remainder of the dress. So, with not enough dress for a full quilt, but definitely enough for a bed runner - to keep those toes warm, off I set.  Fifty Hearts for Fifty Years.

 Knowing the wedding dress was going to fray after working with in in 2013, I did place vilene on all the sections, hoping that it would stop the worse.

 

Joining the blocks, the fraying started with small amounts....

  

And gradually got worse!

 

Quilting in a really nice gold thread, had it's problems as well - being a three strand thread it kept splitting and getting caught in the machine - I've never had this side off the machine so boy did it need a clean after untangling the spilt thread!! 

 

Binding, and final quilting - with the title and date quilted on the front.

 

Ta Dah






1 comment:

  1. Its lovely! 50/50 well done
    The inside of your machine - not so lovely - you'll have to show me how that's done I've got a sneaking suspicion that the inside of my machine is worse!!

    ReplyDelete