Monday 5 May 2014

Honey Bee Fest

My good friend Helen of plate-spinning-mama kindly invited me to photograph her bees.  In trying to decide on a portfolio theme, I have been trying hard to photograph as many different things as possible.  As much for experience, as well as, trying to find the 'type' of photography I like.

After much searching through the diaries, today was very firmly written in.  Relying heavily on the weather to enable the shoot to go ahead - luckily the girls were definitely coming out to play..... the weather was amazing!

Now, I will openly confess - it was with great excitement that I undertook this 'photo shoot' but also with little apprehension. Never have I been near a bee hive - let alone stuck my head in one - with a camera and macro lens!!!   Only at one point did I have to take a deep breath and step back - when the main hive was opened - not for the number of bees that started dancing around, when they saw the camera (!!) but because of the noise - so incredibly loud - it took me by surprise.  However, I would not hesitate to do again - I just need to arrange my diary to fit in a couple of days in the Apiary.

Anyway, issues I found today that I need to work on, trouble with my aperture again - however - this problem has given me some good shot - so not massive problem. The bee suits are white so where I have tried to shot Helen and the bee frames the photo's are over exposed - need to under expose all of these shots next time.  And shutter speed for the bees on the flowers - now as the skatebaord photo shoot threw up shutter speed problems this is definitely something I really need to work hard on. Anyway for a first attempt of my head in a bee hive - I am very pleased with the results! Hope Helen likes them too!!

Here goes then....

Lots of smoke today please, I need to remain calm - oh it's for the bees!!

Disappointment within the first hive - not one but two dead queens - so very close to hatching.






One and only sting today - saved by the rubber glove.


















Let me introduce you to one of the QUEENS



Pretty sure these two girls had had their hair and make up done for the shoot!

Add caption







Don't know why but I love this one!














No comments:

Post a Comment