Saturday 6 July 2013

Paula Doyle: Giant Dahlia

My very first day of a ten day break - and I get to quilt ALLLLLL day! Can't think of a better way to start my holiday.....

The course - held at Hampton Court - Creative Quilting, and run by Paula Doyle - Hand Sewing a Giant Dahlia.  Now having seen the picture I just fell in love with the pattern - it was a must. In fact me and two other QQ fell in love....

I had already selected and pre-washed my fabric - labelled and bagged ready for the class.


Instructions and the pattern were handed out and we started straight away......


Centre cut, start sewing....



Paula gave some great tips, the most useful of which was fastening on and off - not to cut the thread at the starting and end point but to loop it two of three times and then cut - and also to anchor every needle full of stitches with a double stitch.  That way if the worse happens and the stitching does come apart - it will only come apart to the next anchor point!

Lunch time saw us marking all our petals on the template sheets, and I cut one out to test the next stitching line.


I found myself completely relaxed and stress free by lunch which came round far too quickly - the weather had been forecast as HOTTTTT so I had chose not to take my lunch - but to go and buy a sandwich to ensure I got some daylight during the day. I had forgotten what it was like to take time out to hand sew......I was enjoying it so much - my love of hand sewing was returning - which really surprised me - as I didn't know I had lost it!




Alternative colourways....


And look at this little one - I'm got a little giddy - same pattern - scaled down for a cushion cover, with the block cut into two - and two shades of the same colour used.


And this is how far I got during the day.....



Another one to add to the UFO pile!!!!!!


And this one is for you H - can't believe this lady was wearing bee trousers and you missed it!!!!  She said they came from New York - E and been set a mission!



No comments:

Post a Comment