Wednesday 10 July 2013

The Holiday Bus......

Holiday at last - in fact ten whole days - and not only ten whole days but ten wonderful hot and sunny days....

Ten whole days in our wonderful BH...... or maybe not!  The first three days, in fact, was booked as a special birthday treat for my wonderful husband - camping for two nights in an old Route Master Bus - just look at the grin on that face!!! One VeRRRRy Happy Birthday Boy!



Heading off from the BH Sunday afternoon, we travelled to Blackberry Wood - just five miles from Lewes.  Not far only around 45 minutes - but the area was so completely different from the beach we had just left!



The campsite was like nothing I had experience before.  I am not a 'hardened' camper but certainly have camped many a time.  A small site at the front, containing a whole host of camping 'homes'.








Some I think, maybe WIP





And then the back - wood - bit of the site, with private pitches for tents.....









I fell in love with the whole site within moments........well until I went to use the toilets (but that's camping for you!!!).

And our home for two nights........

Upper deck......



Lower deck......






Unpacked and very excited we decided to head off to find some food and a much need pint of something cold....with a small pencilled map and our walking shoes we headed off into the wilderness - well, up the road and left at the church....

















We headed back along the same path after several cold drinks and a wonderful meal.....the path did not seem as long heading back! I decided a fire was needed while I took some time out....



It took me all evening to get the fire started and it really didn't get going until about 10.30pm by which time I had made the decision I needed to head to the upper deck!  A plan was hatched for the following evening...


Monday we decided we would try and reach a local train station and head into Lewes for the day - it was only 40 minutes by foot to the train station - easy!





Some of the footpaths were a little hidden......



Half way through the field - no going back...


Only forward....


And we made it....next train to Lewes 10 minutes - perfect timing - a station house and old signal box - LoVE it!


We arrived in Lewes just as lunch time was approaching so decided a cold drink and and a quick bite to eat was in order - we took a risk and headed into the next cafe we passed....... and what luck - the very best ploughman's I can remember!


We spent some time looking round and then by luck we found a path to take us along side the river...


Arriving back at Plumpton train station we traced our path back to the camp site......now the fire plan for tonight was to start it much much earlier so I had a chance to enjoy it later.......



D, enjoying the final night in the bus.... and the fact he could read using a proper light!


I was very happy with my fire that night....and I knew deep down if we stayed another evening I could set the whole camp alight (literally!).


A birthday breakfast was in order Tuesday morning - we ordered freshly baked pastries from the shop the day before - 


A massive cup of Birthday Tea - some of the little touches in the bus just added to the whole experience ...


Mmmmm no D, I am sure you can't drive it away.... and no we cannot get it in the boot of the car....


Great few days..... and a final sing song - (picture Cliff in your head) and sing really loud....

We're all going on a Summer holiday.....


I will miss shouting 'FARRRRRES Please' as I go up the stairs to the upper deck - with much laughter from D - and I will miss pressing every bell - trying to find one that stilled worked so I can shout EVVVVVERRRRRYYYYONNNNE off!

Would recommend and would go again (someday!)

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant.....might have to try out the gypsy caravan....

    ReplyDelete