Wednesday 12 October 2016

CCC: Season 3 - PDI Competition 1

PDI: This season the club has introduced, for the first time an intermediate group.  This is were I start the season. Objective - one ten!

Frozen Flower: A set of nine images - taken using my macro lens - with the idea of focus stacking.  I'm not sure if I really have the hang of this technique yet but willing to experiment some more.  Flower from the garden - frozen.  Taken on top of a light box so bleached a little. A suitable crop will be needed.

  

  

  

Frozen Flower: First draft - stacked in PS (CC), cropped - and then imported into LR for colour adjustment.  I enjoy this image. I liked 'creating' the image.  Freezing the flower will give you a different result each time.  On this, my first time of freezing - I froze three different types of flowers - being careful to label in case D mistook them for his tea!!  This was by far the most successful.  I particularly like the 'crack' just off centre - however I suspect the judge will consider that distracting.  


Frozen Flower: Final - just experimenting one step further - I have added a warm sunset filter to the image using Nik Colour Effect.  I very much like the warmth it has added to the image.  I truly think this is a marmite image. You either like it or don't.


Ps. A tip - when using water in photography - generally tap water does not give great results. Carbonated water is better for bubbles and this - ionised water, gives great 'extra long' bubbles. 

Judges Comments: Interesting and very different, but actually very little to the image. Love the colour palette. Very pleasing image. Bit more clarity required in the centre. Score: 9.5


Emerged: Taken at the NHM Butterfly House, through glass.  I very much like the whole image but the moth/butterfly on the far right just isn't sharp enough to include. So a good crop.


Emerged: Final Draft. Cropped (with a small amount of cloning on left) and clarity turned up a bit. Shadows and highlights slightly adjusted. In looking at this image closely - once again my DoF is way off - it's not sharp all over.  Really need to sort this issue now - have 'invested' in an off camera flash - but on this occasion this wouldn't have helped as taken through glass.


Judges Comments: Beautiful to see. Focus is where is should be  - on the insect and the cocoons. Detail in the image is interesting. Crop works well - although too close on the left and right hand side.  More space would have improved the image. Score: 9.5

2 comments:

  1. Frozen Flower would get a 10 every time if I were the judge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey 2x 9.5 - wont be long till you get that 10! ...unless D eats your project for tea that is!

    ReplyDelete