Wednesday 29 February 2012

Cracking (good time)?

We have had - for some time now - a large crack in our extension.  I suppose if I'm honest within the last 12 months the crack has got larger at the top but I have chosen to ignore it with everything else going on.  Mid January we decided that we really needed to get the crack filled and the kitchen redecorated. 


When we called in our builder, we discovered the crack went through from the outside of the extension wall right through to the inside.  We also discovered another crack by the curtain rail going through from outside to the inside. 



In discussing the nature of the cracks we decided we should consult a Structural Engineer before proceeding with any further work.  Suspicion of subsidence came into the conversation but also a lack of a soak away under the down pipe, directly attached to the corner of the extension, or a broken pipe.

Several phone calls later found us a structural engineer, and he came to see us today (Friday 24th).  His conclusion, after 15 minutes, was the same three scenarios our builder had suggested - but he was considerably more expensive than our builder!  It's been a long time since I felt properly ripped off but this morning I did without a doubt!

I left for work just before nine, leaving D to consider our options on moving forward.  When I returned home at six the demolition had commenced.






This is the drain in question, and we now have to keep digging until we find where the pipe goes.  I am secretly hoping Australia (hugh saving on air fare) !!

I suppose this has been the first time I have questioned our decision to purchase a second property three years ago.  But I know deep down that in a few months time when the repairs have been sorted and the kitchen is finished at the BH the answer will always be Yes!

1 comment:

  1. You KNOW BH makes sense in the long run
    This is a minor niggle that some good work will resolve.
    Chin up lass - it'll be alright
    xH

    ReplyDelete