Monday 23 July 2012

The Day the Torch Came to Town....

Today the Olympic Torch came to Carshalton.... I have been so very excited about this day and today was the day it finally arrived ..... and I didn't see a bloody thing!!!!!!

I knew a few people would come and see it, well is it the school holidays and the sun was predicted to shine - of course it would make a fab day out!  But the Carshalton and Wallington folks came out in their hundred (if not possibly thousands!).  Much to my surprise people starting arriving about 12ish - in very large numbers.  When I looked out the shop at around 1.45pm I knew I had a problem!! The torch was expected from around 2.15pm onwards.  The rows of people were already four to five deep - even deeper in some places. 

At 2.15pm I heard a shout 'it coming, its coming' - I grabbed my camera, put the answer phone on, and ran out the shop shouting 'short ones at the front, short ones at the front' - my 6ft colleague allowed me through I stepped down onto the pavement and suddenly realised that I wasn't going to see a thing!

The three minute warning bus went past...


I ran back inside and grabbed the step ladder, running back 'short ones with a ladder in the doorway'.  I positioned myself in the doorway of the shop - and put myself as high as I could.  The cheers started getting louder, the flame was coming..........

...... and then the flame was gone.  I didn't get to see even the top of the flames.  That's life!!!!

I managed to steal the following pictures:






I also tried to find it on the BBC Torch Cam - select afternoon and then scroll the time line to 14.28 - we were a bit before that around 14.25 but the pictures have not transmitted but you get the jist!!  Our hero was Lauren Sullivan - and she so look like she just having the best time!!!




Editors Note: It was only when I sat back down and looked through the awful photo's I had of everyone's head that I was asked why I had not gone upstairs to the flat above.  Do you think I could ask them to do it all again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment