Saturday 18 April 2015

Cheam: 50 Shades of Grey

I joined the Cheam Camera Club back in September 2014 - to try and continue my new found love of Photography after I had finished my course at Scola.  Every year CCC have a little exhibition at Bourne Hall in Ewell.  This year was their 50th Anniversary - each member was given the opportunity of displaying an image of their choice within the chosen theme of 50.  In a 'light bulb' moment I decided on Cheam: 50 Shades of Grey.  50 small photos in and around Cheam - put together in a grid format.

I spent a little time researching, to see if there were 50 images to be made from Cheam.  Deciding Yes, and then checking the diary to see if I had enough time to tackle those 50 images, deciding possibly (it would be tight) off I went with my camera and walking boots.

The Windows within Lumley Chapel. The oldest building within Cheam.

Whitehall, built around 1500.  Whitehall is now an historic House Museum.

The War Memorial, was the site West Cheam Manor House - now home to Cheam Library.

Detail on Pybus Wall Monument, Lumley Chapel

St Dunstan's Church, Cheam

St Dunstan's Church Yard (Rear)

The Harrow Inn Pub

Cheam Village sign
Cheam Railway Station



Stone work detail above Lloyds Bank, Cheam

The Railway Pub.
The Lumley Chapel.  Lord Lumley was the owner of Nonsuch Palace for a time.

The Garden Gate entrance to Nonsuch Gardens and Nonsuch Mansion

Nonsuch Mansion House

Nonsuch Gardens

Flower Garden, Nonsuch

Nonsuch Woods


Nonsuch Woods

Resting place, Nonsuch Gardens

The guarding of the Pinetum, Nonsuch Gardens

St Dunstan's Church

Rose Window, St Dunstan's

Nonsuch Cottages, Malden Road


Victoria House, North Cheam

McMillian House, North Cheam

Nonsuch Park

Fallen tree, Nonsuch Park

Tomb stone details for Lady Lumley, Lumley Chapel

Interior detail, St Dunstan's

One on many shields surrounding Lord Lumley's monument,  Lumley Chapel

St Andrews Church, Home to Cheam Camera Club

Door details on St Andrews Church Hall

Roof detail, The Parochial Rooms, Cheam High Street

Old Building, Cheam (Once part of Lamba, for those that know my husbands family history)

The Old Cottage, Cheam High Street

Portland Stone, Seears Park
Lychgate detail, St Dunstan's Church



The Old Farmhouse, once attached to St Dunstan's Church

Cheam Park

The Old Rectory

Balancing Pond, Nonsuch Park/Cheam Park

Stone detail, Nonsuch Mansion

Road Sign, Cheam

Nonsuch Woodland, along side Warren Farm

Cheam Railway Bridge, by Ann Boleyn's Walk

Stone details by St Christopher's Church, off Cheam High Street

Building detail, High Street Cheam

Golden Post Box, Cheam High Street (Dedicated to Joanna Rowsell)

The Lodge to Cheam Park House

Wall detail, behind St Dunstan's Church

I used Photoshop Elements to make the grid for the images.  Some images were processed using just Lightroom but I also used Silver Efex Pro2 to help give the other images a different look - as there were so many black and white images together.

Ta Dah....


I LOVED completing this image - I did get a little worried toward the deadline date hat I would not be able to get 50 different images.  And a couple of very late nights (well actually, very early morning finishes)  to actually place them within the grid - I just made it!  So pleased with how it turned out.  Of course, it was a massive learning curve for me - I have never undertaken something so massive.  I would do things very differentially should I undertake anything like this again, and already have images in my head to put into play should I ever need to expand on the photograph!!

Editor Note: I have just sold a copy of this image to a CCC member's friend.  Feeling very proud!



All images © 2015 Carole Baker. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment