Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ta Dah: Baby Quilt

Little Pink (and yes it is very pink) Quilt for baby Edith - arriving a little early, ten days in fact - all safe and well - but I had not even cut my fabric!!!  God its not as if 9 months is not enough time to get myself together!!

This will be the third quilt I have produced for the Thompson family - with a fourth now being underway for 7th January 2014 - my last project of 2013 - but my first finished project - hopefully- of 2014!

This quilt has been made from a mixture of both hand dyed fabric and commercially brought fabric - the combination in this case has works very well. Pattern taken from Superquick Colourful Quilts.



As this is the third quilt for the same family I have personalised each one - this one using trapunto learnt in a Philippa Naylor class, and machine free motion used in a Ferret class.


The pattern is the same for the three quilts but the quilting is different.  This first one, in the pastel pink - as requested - was produced back in April 2009 - my skill level good but not as experimental as I am now. So simple quilting.


The second, produced in Juy 2010, just over a year later - much more experimental with my quilting techniques - trapunto, twin needles and free motion. This was produced just after my class with Philippa Naylor. (Love the way you can see my washing in the background on this one!)


The quilting on this one was most some of the best I have done (well I think)...


So this one needed to be a little different again.... Free motion on the pink to try and mirror the circles on the black fabric - I used two layers of wadding on the pink squares and then the a third layer covering the whole quilt - so three layers altogether. I love the raised look of these squares but it has left the middle section a little stiff - not sure if this works well on a baby quilt.



Some lines and stars - using multicoloured variegated thread - works really well - not a great picture but look as good on the back as the front!




Ta Dah........




Finial finished item of 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment