Thursday 11 April 2013

Ben's Quilt: Ta Dah

The third and final quilt in the 'trilogy' of little people quilt making!! I can honestly say for some unknown reason I had complete 'quilters block' when trying to decide what to do for this little mans quilt.  I was given the colour choice of pale blue, pale yellow and cream by his Mum and given the theme of trains, planes and cars. 

In searching for ideas, I really struggled to find age appropriate patterns and or fabric.  Many patterns and fabric which contain these themes, I felt, were a little childish.  I wanted a quilt that this little man would not grow out of anytime soon.

A trip to Farnham Maltings back in January, supplied the inspiration I so desperately needed.  I found a stall selling small rolls of 'old shirts' - www.hopscotchquilts.co.uk.  Patchwork and 'upcycling' really should and do go hand in hand.

So off I went.  As the rolls were all 5" wide but different lengths, the size square was kind of pre decided.  I cut as many 5" squares as I could.  There was very little left over.  In placing the pieces I decided that I wanted the quilt slightly bigger so hit the charity shops for extra shirts! 


And then the quilting making began......




Deciding on the boarder..... white and something....





White boarder added......



Yellow boarder added......



I had decided that an old fashion criss-cross quilting design was the way to go but .....



H, my quilting partner in crime,  suggested a wavy pattern was needed.... and do you know what she was so right!  A wavy pattern was thus drawn....


Binding added - for me this is the most bestest bit of quilt making - the final binding.  Name added.




And Ta Dah.....
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment