Thursday 26 November 2015

Cheam Camera Club: Mono Print

Second Mono Print Competition this season.  I will confess, I struggled to select two images this time, and in doing so I think I may have answered my own, as to why I don't do so well in mono and PDI's as the Colour Prints - because I just don't have enough 'great' photos.  In the last colour competition, the two entries I entered I, generally, felt very pleased with my efforts - this time round I have had four different images mounted and discounted all but one.  

Mono Print
Round 2


Beach View, Wales: Taken during the trip in July.  Processed originally in colour but I actually prefer the image in B&W.  I love the cloud against the mountains.  Judges comments - Very much liked the layering of this image - the soft texture of the waves at the forefront of the image, liked the dark mountains and the white cloud above.  However, was somewhat surprised to see a landscape image in a square crop but thought it worked well.  Score 10





In Need of Cleaning: Taken on one of the many trips to Amberely, for Dave's car shows - spied as I wondered past one of the buildings, and more importantly was not another image of another car!  I like the contrast of this image but wonder if the judge will find it too much.  Judges comments - Generally liked the contrast of the image.  Struggled with the crop of the image, suggested square would be better, so door frame and bolts not central. also didn't like the way the image had been mounted (you can't see that in this image but the mount and taken off  a few mm from the top of the image cutting off the very top of the arch)Score 8.5


So, there we have it - my first 10 for a mono print.  Chuffed. I really got some poor scores last season for my mono's so good to see I have made some improvement.  I had hoped for 8 or above for both these images so both scores are pleasing.  However, I had rejected a couple of images because of mounting issues and how close the images were to the edge of the mount - so I could slap myself for having let the arch sneak past me.  Pay more attention C!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment