Sunday 1 March 2015

Fund Raising for QoS: Quilting Stilettos

This make came about by complete accident but (I think!! ;) ) one of my better makes..... a fellow QQ was given an assortment of odds and sods from another quilting group that they were unable to do anything with - from that pile she passed around some of the items for us to try and produce something sellable for that group - I was given a box of beads.  On googling beads and quilting I stumbled across a quilting stiletto -

Christmas 2013 saw me make five for the QQ - and their joy on receiving made me think possibly I'd stumbled on the idea to use the donated beads....



Once again I have rummaged all the local charity shops for this make and have managed to build up a cracking selection of beads over the last year.   I am finding this the most economical way of buying beads - the best way is to ask at the counter for broken necklaces or bracelets - the charity shops are happy to sell you the pieces extra cheap as they cannot be sold on the counter - as they will be broken up anyway it's a win win situation.

So, a very relaxing morning spent playing - I do admit I do enjoy the playing - a collection was quickly forms - using a combination of the donated beads and my own collection from various sources....


With a little rearranging, on the very useful advice of the QQ, the gluing commenced.....

A selection for QoS and,of course, a selection for the Quilting group from which some of the beads originated....



Now, of course, these have a very limited market - quilters only!  I think (hopefully) they will go well at the quilting group in Birmingham - who have a quilting show every other year and raise funds for charity - I'm not sure how well they will sell at the community fairs to raise money for QoS  - however, with luck - they may well sell before they hit the fair - within the group itself!! I'll keep you posted!!



2 comments:

  1. Love your creativity and 'repurposing' of materials!! Wish I was as lucky in charity shops!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are simply awesome -as you can tell from QoS jumping in a buying from first batch. Think a LOT more may need to be made!

    ReplyDelete